For any homeowner, nothing is more frustrating than a cockroach infestation. This little brown creature is not just annoying but also carries several diseases that can be dangerous for human health. They always look for ways to control pest’s invasion and make their places free from all insects. So if you are tired of sharing your home with irritating creatures here is your guide to identify them and block their entry points to your home.
1. Common Species of Cockroaches in the US
There are different species of cockroaches that are found in the different states of the US, among them American cockroach and German cockroach are the most common. American cockroaches are bigger and darker, while German cockroaches are dark brown in color. Both types are nocturnal and active at night and usually hide into dark places during the day.
Here this article tells you how to prevent cockroaches and how to identify American Cockroaches.
2. Identification of American Roaches
They are reddish-brown in their color with yellowish figure-eight patterns on their head. They have six legs and an oval-shaped body and are 32-54 mm in length. Moreover, both females and males have wings and can fly short distances.
3. Do They Bite?
American cockroaches rarely bite, but they have the ability to bite. But if they bite, it shouldn’t be problematic except it gets infected.
4. Control and Prevention
Here are the four signs of an American cockroach infestation. First, you will see a fleeing creature to dark areas and a fast-moving. Second, they leave their small droppings behind the doors and dark places. They are often mistaken for the mouse droppings.
Learn What Attracts Cockroaches to Your Place
No matter the type of pest – whether it is termites, ants, rodents, roaches they are most likely searching for water and food sources which they can easily find in your kitchen.
- Keep your food in airtight jars.
- Look for the holes and cracks in your ceiling and walls, fill them in order to block roaches entry.
- Keep your place clean.
- Install the window shades and see if they need repair.
- Make sure to keep your trash boxes covered.
- Vacuuming helps you remove their eggs, droppings, and egg sacs.
- Remove the clutter and anything that roaches can use as a shelter, such as paper and cardboard.
- Hire the pest control service. If you suspect cockroaches contact an exterminator company as they will make your place entirely free from this annoying creature.
5. Learn What They Eat
Like all other cockroach species, the American cockroaches eat anything they found. However, sweets, fruits, starch, fruit, and beer attract them most. Because they live in unsanitary environments due to which they carry bacteria and contaminate your food and surface.
6. Threats to Humans
You might not know this fact that American cockroaches are capable of carrying more than thirty diseases. Some recent studies also have found that American cockroaches can cause asthma and allergies more, especially in kids and those who are living in areas with a higher population.