Mold infestation in your home or business premise can be troublesome. Unfortunately, almost every home is affected by mold at some point. Mold often grows in premises if there is a presence of moisture. Some sources of moisture include air humidifiers, cooking, washing, and leaks from either outside or plumbing issues. If a room is poorly ventilated, this will lead to higher humidity then condensation and as a result, allow mold to flourish.
When you are building your home, the last thing you would like to welcome is the growth of mold and mildew. These nasty creepers are not only a nuisance to look at, but they are also extremely harmful to your health.
While it is important, you get rid of them right away, and it is not as easy as you would want it to be. The best option would be to prevent them from forming, but the problem with mold is that they grow very fast, and this makes it difficult to handle them. Call the specialists from Virginia Mold Company and let them discover the problem before it gets out of hands. If you are not able to handle the situation as the premise owner, you should consider involving a professional to help you out.
Tips to prevent mold growth in your home
The most useful and easiest remedy to getting rid of mold and mildew is regular cleaning of uncommon areas. Make it a routine to clean, disinfect, and dry surfaces around the home. Some of the most favorite places for molds are surfaces like sinks or floors, especially if they are wet most of the time. However, since most of these surfaces are non-porous, they are ideal for disinfectants and other cleaners. You can even disinfect by vapor steam cleaner. After cleaning, ensure you get rid of moisture completely.
More so, make sure you keep the items in the house clean and dry to prevent the growth of mold. Before you put any occasional items to storage, dry them thoroughly. If possible, you can keep them in a ventilated area. You don’t want to be surprised in your next camping trip by a tent that was kept wet, and now it is fully covered with mold.
2. Proper ventilation
You need to increase the flow of air in your home. Move furniture away from the walls and open the closet doors to allow the circulation of air. A properly ventilated room reduces the growth of molds. Any confined space and dark area in the house should be ventilated in the best way possible. Instead of using fans and air conditioners all the time, you should also open the windows to allow the fresh air to come inside the house. It will prevent the growth of mold.
3. Fix leaks faster
Inspect your home often. This will enable you to know when there is a leak that needs fixing. Most leaks happen in the bathrooms and kitchens. You should also clean up the gutters to remove debris and leaves. Some leaks happen because the gutters are full or damaged. Hence, clean them and avoid leaking into your beautiful home. That will stop mold and mildew from creeping in.
4. Use exhaust fans
Another best way to remove moist inside the house and vent it outside is by using exhaust fans, especially in the kitchen and bathrooms. If you do not have an exhaust fan, do not worry. Simply opening the windows to allow the moist air to leave the house when you shower or cook, will serve the same purpose.
Mold and mildew removal
If you have discovered that your home is already invaded by mold, then you need to do something real quick. Mold removal requires precautions and lots of work. Common surfaces such as bathrooms and kitchen sinks are more prone to mold growth. You can scrub such areas with bleach water and mold cleaner solutions and remove the mold.
However, when it comes to areas with black mold, if you are to remove it without involving a professional, it is important you take special precautions. You should ensure you protect the rest of the house from the spreading of mold and at the same time, protect yourself. Breathing high concentrations of spores and VOCs can be dangerous to your health. Other ways to remove mold include:
Bleach has the strength to kill indoor mold effectively. It can clean a surface and leave it sanitized and resistant to mold growth in the future. Over the same, bleach is only effective if you are going to use it on non-porous surfaces materials like bathtubs, tiles, countertops, and glass. If you use bleach on porous materials such as wood and drywall, it will only kill the mold on top of the surface because it cannot penetrate the porous material. This will not be helpful as it will be a matter of time before the mold surfaces again.
When using bleach, make sure the room is well ventilated since bleach produces harsh fumes that are not friendly to your health. During the whole process, wear gloves. They will play a major role in protecting your hands. You can either use a spray bottle, a sponge, a cloth, or a bucket to apply the solution. Unless you are using the surface to prepare food or the kids might touch it, there is no need to rinse the surface. It is best you leave it like that to inhibit future growth of mold.
You can also use vinegar to get rid of mold in your home. Although vinegar is a mild acid, it can kill 82% of mold species if used accordingly. The most impressive thing about vinegar is that it is natural and safe. It is also non-toxic and does not produce any harmful fumes. Get your white distilled vinegar, pour it in a spray bottle without adding water. Spray it on the moldy surfaces and allow it to stay for an hour. You can then clean the area with water and ensure the surface is completely dry.
Ammonia can also be used to remove mold. It works more or less like bleach. It can kill mold on hard non-porous surfaces, but when it comes to the porous material, it becomes ineffective. Ammonia is a harsh and toxic acid you should take maximum precaution when using it. Never mix ammonia and bleach; together, they form a toxic solution.